Monday 7 January 2013

Seeing in 2013!



Imagine the above but approaching midnight, the square packed with people and fireworks taking off from various points around the square.  This is how I spent my New Year 2013 and it was brilliant!
This vibrant, bustling, up and coming city was not at all what I was expecting when I agreed with friends to spend my New Year there.  We stayed four nights and I would go back tomorrow as there is so much more I would like to see.  

With its beautiful Cathedral, Castle and Market Square there is plenty to attract you.  A highlight of the trip was a visit to the Wieliczka Salt Mines which once was the main income of Poland.  I have tried to find a video to show you but unfortunately nothing does it justice.  Over 100 metres below the surface lies a treasury of statues and even a Cathedral made entirely of Salt (including the Chandeliers), most of which were carved by miners.  It is quite amazing and even though you must pay £15 for the tour our tour guide, Tomas, made this completely worthwhile.


This however, was the most money we spent in one go in Krakow.  A three course meal with wine in a top restaurant was enjoyed every night for less than £20 and a pint of the local lager would cost us less than £1.50 Kogel Mogel was one of these venues where we feasted on Meat Dumplings and award winning Duck.  

It was not all fun and laughter though and we soon sobered up with a visit to Auschwitz. Even when I stepped on the plane at Bristol I was still unsure whether I would take this journey but I am glad I did.  I studied this period in History last year so I kind of understood what had happened here however, even after the visit I still cannot understand why.  As I walked around the two camps of Auschwitz I and Auschwitz II - Birkenau, I was shocked by the size of the camps and the magnitude of the terror that had taken place there.  The fact so much pain and suffering was able to take place for so long and less than 70 years ago too is beyond my understanding.  I find the use of the word "extermination" particularly offensive after all this word should be used for talking about such things as rats and not to approve the murders of millions of innocent, men, women and children.

The camps seemed so organised and regimented and I could still feel the evil in the air.  I will never forget how cold, quiet and vast the camps were and unless you visit the camps for yourself you cannot even begin to imagine it.  This however is a very big decision and one you should make yourself and not be pressurised into.  

It was a sombre train ride back to Krakow as we reflected on what we had seen and decided it would be a good time to visit the Jewish Quarter.  Here we found warm, friendly people who directed us to a bar where we sat around sewing machines, drinking shots translated as "Mad Dog", containing Cherry Syrup, Vodka and Tabasco Sauce.  Despite it's make up and name it was surprisingly tasty. 

I will never return to Auschwitz but I am glad I have done it.  I will however, return to Krakow as there is still so much I would like to see.  What I imagined to be a poor, run down area of Europe, turned out to be a bright and astonishing city break location with something for everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sarah, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Krakow. This is a beautiful town with lovely historical places to visit. I have been to Krakow before and I really enjoyed my time there, however I have never been to Auschwitz and in some sort of way I'm glad I didn't. I'm sure everybody knows the history and the fact that this place is not part of Poland. It's horrible and a sad place where lots of people have been killed. Let's forget about history...... I hope you enjoyed your New Year's Eve Celebration with lots of polish vodka shots and good music :)

    ReplyDelete